Friday, May 13, 2016

It is not Love

ImageSource

She was crying uncontrollably. Sitting on the sofa her whole body was shivering in fear and pain. She was unable to talk in between her sobs. After crying for few minutes she started to calm down. Slowly her deep sobbing turned into a low hissing sound. Like a train coming to halt, she stopped and looked at me sitting across with red, swollen eyes. 

I could make out patches of dried blood in the corner of her swollen lips. There was big red patch showing signs of a blood clot at the corner of her right eye. Her hair was tied up in a ponytail, but her short strands of hair falling on her face with red wet eyes made her look much worse. While she was settling down to lay her head on the cushion of the sofa, I noticed her rubbing her left shoulder with a twitch in her already pathetic face. I could see that she was unable to lift her left hand without pain.

I got up from where I was sitting and moved towards her. Sitting beside her I took her hands off from her shoulder and pulled down the t-shirt she was wearing down her left shoulder to look at the source of her discomfort and pain. I was shocked to see that her shoulder was all swollen and it looked like she was assaulted with something heavy. I looked at her with a questioning look. She turned away from me and started to cry again. I put my hands around her shoulder and held her close to me. We sat there like that with her sob disturbing the silence around us. After some time, I helped her lift herself from the sofa. We walked towards the guest bedroom. While she waited sitting in a chair, I made the bed. She then sat on the bed when I went to get her some water. When I came back I saw that she was checking her phone. Seeing me, she put her phone down and looked at me pitifully. Without saying anything I gave her the bottle of water and walked out the room. 

As I walked towards my room where my husband was sleeping deeply, I could not stop the tears that rolled down my cheeks. I went into my room and laid beside my husband hugging him tightly. 

Hearing the alarm go off I woke up. On my way to the kitchen, I peeped into her room to see if she was sleeping but found her awake with her mobile in her hand. In a fit of rage, I dashed into her room and snatched the mobile from her hand. She was startled. I scrolled through reading the messages on the screen. 

Rajesh: I am sorry... Call me...

Rajesh: I am sorry dear... pls call me.

Rajesh: don't punish me like this... Pls attend my call...

Rajesh: I am tensed, pls attend my call.... u r killing me.

Rajesh: if u don't attend my call now u will never see me alive...

Sandhya: what do u want? why don't u just leave me alone?

Rajesh: I am sorry darling. I shud not have hurt u so much... u know how much I love u... u do stuff that anger me and u know I cannot control myself.... but it is because I love u that I come back to u asking sorry always.

Sandhya: It hurts... I could not sleep the whole night... I cried the whole night. I did not know what to do... U know I love u too. But u cannot hurt me like this.

Rajesh: I am really sorry dear. But I can't stay away from u... U know it is us always... I know where u r now... Coming to pick u up.. I will make it up to u today. Promise me whatever I do you will stay with me... that you will never leave me... I love u so much... u know I cannot live without u...

Sandhya: U shd promise me that you will never ever hurt me again... No matter what happens. Also promise me from the heart, because, every time you promise but never keep up your promise...

Rajesh: I promise from my heart that I will never hurt u again...

Sandhya: mmmm

I looked at her with disbelief. 

"Do you believe he will keep up his promise this time?" I asked her.

"I hope so. He sounds so earnest. And he has been pinging me for so long without sleeping. That should mean something right?" she wanted my reassurance for something which she knew was not right. But what could I say? 

"This is not the first time he is doing this. He said the same during the previous two instances. Why don't you just stay away from him for some time? He has some serious problem. No normal man can beat you up so badly. Let him at least realise his mistake. " I said trying to put some sense into her mind. But she would not listen. 

"I understand your concern, but let me try this one last time. Maybe he is really sorry. I don't want him to suffer because of me. He is so dependent on me. If I leave him he will be devastated", she said pleadingly. 

"What if he hurts you again?" I asked. 

"I will tell him clearly that if he hurts me again I will leave him. I will convey the message strongly. If he wants me, then he has to keep up his promise this time."  said she with a stubborn face. I knew there was no point in trying to argue with her. So, I decided to leave her to her wish. 

The door bell rang. I knew it was him. I opened the door. There he was standing with a tired smile. He looked charming even in his wrinkled dress. There was a single rose in his hand. He peeped across me searchingly. I looked at him furiously but he stood there like an innocent boy. I excused myself from the room so that they could talk. From the kitchen, I could hear his voice murmuring. It was not clear, but I knew he was doing his best to convince her. After few moments she called out to me. They were leaving. I said nothing, but silently let them leave my house. 

Another night, another call on my mobile and I knew this vicious cycle would repeat.


0 comments:

Post a Comment