Saturday, May 21, 2016

Ode on the Old




A smooth surface once,
is now rough and scratched.

Time has etched its lines, 
and the joints are now creaky. 

The hinges make screechy noise; 
when I try to swing its door open.

It has been in my family for so long; 
that I forget when we actually got it.

My father got it done with so much of attention, 
for it was the first in my family.

It was green in color with a glow, 
but now it has brown patches - signs of old age.

Unattended it has stood at a corner always, 
guarding untiringly all our secrets and valuables.

I want to throw it out just because it looks ugly, 
all though I know, to my mom, it is a memento of Dad.

She asks, why throw it when u can fix it to perfection? 
Why do old things irritate you so much when you just need to care for it?

A little bit of touch up is all it requires, 
to become the strong beauty it was long ago. 

Replacing it is easy but, 
nothing today is as durable as it is, even today 

It stands in the memory of so many things of our family; 
How easily you decide to throw it away. 

What will help you kindle your old memories, 
If you don't have anything that connects you to them. 

Throwing away is so convenient, but remember, 
that the replacement will not carry the memories so dear to you.

And what is a human without memories to talk about; 
They are all that we have, to prove our existence in the past.

0 comments:

Post a Comment