Sunday, May 8, 2016

To A Mother - For What She is Not

https://pixabay.com/en/mother-and-son-baby-smiles-smile-864142/
ImageSource

Mother - Personification of Love, Sacrifice and Selflessness. Wow! how wonderful it is to see these words on a face book post that a mother is never going to see or on a twitter message that she will never even learn to open.  I fail to understand why people do this on face book or twitter.

I did not call my mother to wish her on this day neither did i post a message on social media to prove my love for her to the world. Even if i don't call out to her on this day she knows that i love her. I don't care if anyone knows about the kind of relationship i share with her.

I want to dedicate this post to her and to so many like her, for what she is not today, because she is a human being first, a woman next and lastly a mother. How can i forget that?

She is not a singer she wanted to be - because of my strict grandfather  and the orthodox culture of the family then.
She is not a dancer she wanted to be - because of again my strict grandfather and the orthodox culture of the family then.
She is not a degree holder that she wanted to be - because of she had to finish the kitchen cores even when she was 15 years old and educating women was the last priority in the family.
She is not a teacher she wanted to be - Because my father wanted her to stay at home after marriage.
She is not a professional tailor that she wanted to be - Because she got busy with being a good homemaker soon after marriage.
She is not a financially independent woman that she wanted to be - Because she always cared for our financial independence and never gave time for herself.
She is not someone who has gone beyond South India - Though my father was working abroad she chose to stay here with us in order to not disturb our education.
She is not someone who lived in the physical security of her husband - She decided to stay away from his security so that we would have a secure future.

She is not so many things she wanted to be. She could not do so many things she wanted to do. I respect her for all that she is not.

This is the case with crores of women in this country. They are not so many things they wanted to be. But who bothers about what she wanted to be when she is a mother - the ultimate achievement. We make motherhood her greatest achievement when she could have achieved so much more along with being a mother. This is a socially accepted justification that we impose on her to hide the injustice meted upon her gender.

Motherhood is great. But when that becomes the identity of a woman rather than it being a choice, it becomes a emotional burden. I think we should learn to look at her as a human being first and then a mother. Because, the moment she becomes a mother all her other achievements take a back seat and she is morally and emotionally forced to prove her motherliness through sacrifices and selflessness. 

Let's not make motherhood a burden rather let us make it a enjoyable experience for every woman. I wish every mother gets to celebrate her achievements without guilt.

Happy Mother's day.

4 comments:

  1. I started reading the blog from the oldest to the newest and this one is my favorite so far :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very happy that you liked this one. This also happens to be the one that makes me proud about myself every time i read it. Thanks a ton for your comments Nitha. :)

      Delete