Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Hallowed by deed - Part 3

This happened many years back. I was traveling in an auto, returning back home after a shopping spree. My train was at 8 PM from Chennai to Coimbatore. I was excited. How could I not be, when I was going home after almost 2 months and that too the first visit home after receiving my first salary. That was why all the shopping. Saree for mom, dresses for my sister. I had cash of 5000 in my purse –a part of my first salary that I was taking home to give to my mom.

Since I was staying at my aunt’s place I had bought some gifts for them too. When I reached home, after paying the auto driver I went in with my hands full of shopping bags. I gave the gifts to my uncle and aunt and my cousin and went into my room to pack my stuffs. That is when I realized with a shock that my purse was missing. I searched through all my stuffs and covers in vain. I told my cousin and he went out to check if the purse had fallen out somewhere while I walked in with the bags – but no use. I started crying.

Considering the financial situation of my family, losing 5000 felt like a crime. I could not stop blaming myself for being so careless. No one could console me. My cousin was quick to react. He was convinced that I had missed the purse in the auto. He took his bike and went to the nearest auto stand to inquire about the auto driver. He also drove around to check if he could spot the auto. But he could not.

I was sobbing badly. It was almost an hour since I had come home. As everyone was trying to console me, the doorbell rang. My cousin went to check and came back with a broad smile on his face. The auto driver had found the purse. With a sigh of relief i found the driver standing at the door holding my purse. He wanted to make sure that I got the purse. He knew it was my purse because of my driving license inside it. After giving the purse he asked me to check if everything was intact. Well, even if he had taken a few hundreds I would not have really bothered at that point. But everything was intact. I could not stop thanking him. I tried to give him some money, but he refused to take it and he left.

Some people are not just hallowed, they are saviors. I don’t remember his face, but his deed will always be remembered with a smile. One of the few situations when I realized the value of being careful also made me believe in the word “integrity”.

0 comments:

Post a Comment